Sunday, January 27, 2013

Time with My Thoughts

The training plan for the St. Louis Half Marathon required an eight-mile run today, so I took advantage of a temporary break in the rainy weather to log an outdoor run.  I plotted my run last night on 'Map My Run' to make sure it satisfied the 8-mile requirement (8.17mi), and I took off this morning (rocking my giraffe headband) ready to go and knock it off the day's "to-do" list.  Compared to the hilly terrain of last weekend, the wet sidewalks of Scottsdale were like a running track - thank goodness :).  With some residual rain and morning fog, it was a very quiet Sunday morning and made for a nice run.

I usually don't wear headphones when I run, so the run is a distraction-free time for myself and my thoughts, and of course, those thoughts always lead to Granty.  I didn't consciously think of it when mapping the run last night, but the route I selected had plenty of reminders of Grant....I ran by the hospital where he was born (and first PICU stay), the site of his first trimester ultrasound, his pediatrician's office, my OB's office where we found out he was a boy...  I guess that's the one (sort of ) downside of having all of our doctors in a small radius.  Nevertheless, it was 70 minutes of time to myself, and Granty was with me the entire time.

Alexa's Swimming Update:  She was not too excited to go to lessons today, but the promise that I would let her puddle jump in the parking lot with her new rainboots did spark her interest a bit.  There was a full-court press from the manager of the swim school, Coach Anthony (on non-pool duty today) and Coach Nick (her Sunday instructor) to make sure it was a tear-free lesson.  She was promised a surprise if she didn't cry, and Coach Anthony and the manager were her personal cheerleaders during the lesson.  Oy - I think she was loving the attention.  Coach Nick pushed her pretty hard today, and there were definitely some "I want my Mommy" moments, but overall it went pretty well.  And on the way out, she was presented with her surprise - - pink and purple mylar balloons.  Next lesson is Thursday with Coach Anthony....

The view from my usual running spot  (the treadmill);
I like the view of this 20x30 poster better than N. Scottsdale;
Granty's way more motivating than passing cars... :)


2 comments:

  1. What a great view! What an adorable picture of Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blue-eyed baby!

    I loved seeing the pictures yesterday of Alexa, carefree and splish-splashing in the puddles. Some of the biggest smiles I have seen on my kids is when they are soaking wet or covered head to toe in mud- it's what being a kid is all about! It made me smile you did too.. soak it up!

    Love ya. E

    ReplyDelete