Thursday, January 24, 2013

Heightened Awareness

Since we were in Denver last weekend, I had scheduled a make-up swim class for Alexa this even.   Despite my best efforts to make the class enjoyable - scheduling it with her favorite Coach Anthony, promising her ice cream afterwards, etc… - the lesson did not start out very well.  Against my better judgement, I agreed to walk her out onto the pool deck, and when I turned to walk back to the sitting area, I had a sobbing Alexa chasing after me.  Great….just what I needed after a long day of work.  I literally had to pry her off of me with Anthony pulling her to get her into the pool.  Thankfully, Anthony knows Alexa pretty well, and he’s quite the charmer himself, so he had Alexa giggling and smiling within a few minutes.  Whew!

It perplexes me that this little girl is such a natural and fearless athlete at every sport she’s tried, but for some reason, swimming lessons petrify her.  I’m determined to have her swimming by the summer, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s suddenly going to click one day.  The manager of the swim school actually chatted with me after class, and we're going to try adding Thursday night lessons (on the house...a very nice gesture from the school) to see if the frequency of lessons helps.  If this doesn't work, switching to female instructors is next - - can you tell everyone is grasping at straws for answers (lol)?  The next lesson is on Sunday….just three short days away.

On a separate note, while running as a tribute to Granty has become my new thing, Damon created a driving tribute to Granty.  When Grant was going to chemo on Tuesdays, I had seen an advertisements for the ‘Fight Childhood Cancer’ license plates, so it was a no-brainer to get this special cause license plate when Damon renewed his Volvo registration.  

Speaking of fighting childhood cancer, a friend made me aware of this online petition to raise awareness for Pediatric Cancer.  It is unfortunate that it took Granty's diagnosis to make me aware of the all too common nature of this disease.  Only 4,000 more signatures are needed, so please feel free to sign the petition if you’re interested:  https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/light-white-house-gold-month-september-honor-pediatric-cancer-fighters-and-bring-light-cause/syV6M6wX.

Damon's license plate - a very sweet tribute that benefits a great cause.
I have a feeling it could also get him out of a ticket.... :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the license plate.
    Maybe I can get Matthew to swim with Alexa? Because he wants none of that learning-to-swim business either.
    xoxoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that, Damon.
    I love everything you're doing, Connie.
    Do you ever jump in with her... or is that a big no-no?
    Love,
    Ani

    ReplyDelete