Today marked the fortieth day after Grant's death, a date that has significance in the Armenian Apostolic Church. Typically a Requiem Service is offered for the repose of his soul, and the forty-day mark also ends the 'official' mourning period. While we did not have an official service for Granty today, Damon and I did spend part of the morning at St. Apkar Armenian Church in Scottsdale where we met with the priest, lit a candle and said a prayer together for Granty. Papa Hovey also paid a visit to Granty's grave and lit a candle there too. Our little angel.....
As tough as this week has been, I feel like we are starting off 2013 on a positive note and setting the tone for a good year. Our family will become active at St. Apkar, beginning with attending mass together on Sunday morning (coincidentally Armenian Christmas) and planting a tree in Granty's memory there. The priest was talking to us today about the activities for the children at the church - Sunday school, Armenian dancing, etc...I have to smile when I picture our little blonde Alexa doing these things. I also had lunch today with one of Granty's nurses with whom I have developed a friendship; she's an amazing nurse and a wonderfully upbeat and positive person. Despite the tough milestones this week, it truly has been a good week, and I'm confident that great things will happen for us in 2013.
![]() |
| Our angel - - at rest for 40 days. |
![]() |
| Alexa saw this picture today and immediately said, "My Granty!" |


Connie, such a rough forty days but hopefully we will all be able to someday accept what God throws our way. When I saw the picture I thought of Alexa hugging Grant---ADORABLE. Love Joanne
ReplyDeleteDear Lord,
ReplyDeleteWe know that Your love for us extends beyond our comprehension. We know that we came into this world created by Your love. And we know that you have a plan for each and every one of us. But sometimes Father, our understanding of Your plan is beyond our comprehension. Sometimes, our pain is so deep, we feel doubt and even anger toward you.
May Your love, in all Its glory and strength, speak to Damon, Connie and Alexa. Particularly in the down days, when their loss is so heavy, may it reassure them.......that someday, they will hold and kiss their precious little Granty again, in Your kingdom of Heaven.
In Your almighty name of Jesus Christ we pray,
Amen
Thinking of you. Gwen
ReplyDeleteBlair and I were always the only blondes at Armenian Church camp...just think how easy it will be to pick Alexa out in the crowd. :) Love you guys...
ReplyDelete