Alstott has been a remarkable dog - - I will never forget how nervous everyone was when Alexa was born. Alsott had been like an only child for four years, so we were not expecting the warmest reception to a new baby in the house. The dog surprised everyone, and he has always been good with Alexa, even when she hasn't exactly been gentle with him. Alexa's first word was "Alstott" - I remember I had to explain to her Montessori teachers in NJ that Alstott was indeed a legitimate word and the name of her dog, as they initially had no idea what she meant when she said his name.
Alstott's good behavior continued with Granty, and I think Grant was just as enamored with Alstott as Alexa was when she was a baby. Grant loved to reach for and pet Alstott (maybe that's how Granty grew to love minky fabrics...) and would watch him intently whenever the dog was nearby. Alstott was extremely protective of Granty, as when our friend was over with his dog, Alstott made sure the other dog came nowhere near Grant.
I think Alstott senses Grant's loss or at least senses the sadness that Damon and I feel. Ever since Granty passed away, Alstott has been more cuddly with me than ever, and he's never far from my side when I'm home. If he sees me crying at night, he's always quick to jump in my lap and offer some comfort. Tonight he was laying by the door of Grant's room for no particular reason; this is not his usual spot - Alstott much prefers a soft bed or couch to the travertine floors. I even opened the door to G's room to see if Alstott wanted something in there, but he remained firmly planted in the doorway. Maybe he too just needed some time to think about Granty.....
| The Hovannisian "boys" |
| Watching Granty closely - probably hoping for some food. |
I saw some giraffes at Target tonight and thought of you all :-) Hugs to you, sweet momma, you are doing an amazing job of keeping Grant's memory and legacy alive.
ReplyDeleteyou know i have always had a special place in my heart for alstott damon...i love that little pup. even though animals can not talk, they can sense things from us. i have no doubt that alstott knows you and D are sad..and that he is doing everything he can to look out for you. i love that he is so protective of the kids...such a good boy. our cat knuckles likes to lay on the floor outside of madis room...and im convinced he would sleep in there if we let him. sometimes when she cries before going to bed, he will lay by her door and meow..basically trying to get us to go in there and get her! animals truly can be a blessing and glad that alstott damon is looking out for all of you.
ReplyDeleteAlstott misses our little boy even though he can't express it. As long as he keeps Alexa, Mommy and Daddy close by for his comfort. Our pets know our needs. Love to all, Joanne
ReplyDelete