Friday, January 11, 2013

"Home"

Since returning to Arizona after the holiday in St. Louis, I think the reality of Granty's absence has been setting in for both Damon and myself.  We don't have the bustle of the holidays to keep us busy or partially distract our minds....it's a harsh reality to accept.  I don't think I ever go more than a few minutes without thinking of Grant - he truly is always on my mind.

My commute, about 25 minutes each way, is usually filled with thoughts of Grant and rehashing in my mind everything that happened in those two months after September 27th (the initial MRI that showed a brain tumor).  I've started to wear waterproof eye makeup because I usually cry for at least 15 minutes of the drive...  There's a song, "Home" by Phil Phillips, that always seems to be on the radio.  I clearly remember leaving the hospital for the first time after that fateful MRI, driving home for a brief shower and change of clothes, and "Home" was on the radio as I pulled out of the parking garage.  I had never listened to the words before, but the lyrics resonated with me as I headed North on the 51 that day.  It was like the song was tailored to a mother whose son was just diagnosed with brain cancer.... 

"Home" - by Phillip Phillips
Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

He's home now....we'll be together again someday.
My angel Grant.


9 comments:

  1. Christine Winkeler MannerJanuary 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM

    Connie -
    I continue to pray for you and your family everyday. You are such an amazing mom and so strong in the face of something so devastating. I know Grant is watching over you and I hope you are able to find peace in your memories of your beautiful Grant. Thinking of you often! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always with you,
    Ani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lyrics for a beautiful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful song - really hits home. Stay strong in your beliefs and you Damon and Alexa will always be in our hearts. Love and kisses to all of you. auntie marian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the innocence of this picture. Grant looks so content and perfect lying on daddy, cuddling.

    Songs find a way to touch our hearts in ways people cannot express in the spoken word. I can feel how this song must touch your heart. I pray every day for some solace, some comfort for your heart.

    I am so proud of you for finding such beauty in all that you remember of your little angel. I know he is up in the heavens and will continue to guide and protect his mommy, while giving you ample inspiration to continue this journey. Perhaps he will send you the perfect song to fill your heart with peace or maybe just to remind you he is with you always.

    Love you cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. It's amazing how music puts into words what we can't. Thank you for sharing. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  7. How perfect for your perfect little boy. I have been behind in my reading the blog and wept openly when I read this particular one. Truly you are amazing and I only hope this song will let you know you little prince is at rest, at home in God's arms. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm behind on my reading as I have not had internet for the last few days.....Your family and blogs have now been a part of my regular morning routeen as I sip my coffee. However, this picture of our Granty has touched my heart. He looks like a little angel.....and thats how I think of him. I love this song "Home" and love it even more now that I've read the words. So perfect....These sad days will come and go and I promise the hurt will lessen some day. But your tears are good. Keeping busy is the best but it's ok to reflect as we know you and Damon will never stop thinking of Granty as he is a part of you as he is a part of all of us. We continue to pray that each day will get better. Give Damon and Alexa a big hug and tell them to hug you back from Auntie Gail because if I lived closer thats what I would be doing now. With tears in my eyes, we are always thinking of you. Love, Auntie Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a sweet song for a sweet boy. sending you guys lots of prayers always...

    ReplyDelete