Ever since Granty was in the hospital, we have become pretty lax on the "no sleeping with Dad and Mom" rule, and we allowed Alexa to climb in our bed or would lay with her in her (way too comfortable) queen-size bed. Big mistake - we lost a lot of sleep on account of our little girl. Alexa is one rough sleeper - talking, kicking, tossing & turning, etc.... For our own sake (& to finally get some sleep), Damon and I have been going through the process of "Ferber-izing" her and forcing her to sleep by herself. It's been a tough process, but we talk about why she is afraid and remind her that nothing will happen to her when she's laying by herself. We also have one other secret weapon - - good old-fashioned bribery.
I had forgotten to pack one of Alexa's gifts when we went to St. Louis - the Ultimate Disney Princess Collection - which consists of seven Barbie-like dolls representing each of the Disney Princesses. Damon and I have decided to split up the pack and use the dolls for some bribery tactics, rewarding Alexa for good behaviors by giving her one of the dolls. Thankfully this was a surprise gift and not something she had requested from Santa, so she has no idea that we have this stash of dolls in our arsenal. Probably not the best parenting technique, but it has gotten us two nights of sleep without Alexa in our bed and a promise that there will be no more tears at swim lessons (I'll believe that one when I see it)......
As a family we have a long road ahead, but it is a much more manageable road when we're getting some sleep.
| When bedtime was easier...Alexa, Granty & Alstott ready for bed! |
Oh, bribery is the ultimate weapon. It's the great equalizer that can get adults the peace and quiet or good behavior that they so desperately covet. Very, very wise of you to use this great tool.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I must remind you that with this great power comes great risk and responsibility. You must always be careful to use this tool in moderation so that it does not come back to bite you. Children are fast learners, and they will wrest your powerful tool from your hands without you even realizing it. If used too carelessly or frequently, the wily child can turn your tactics against you and may intentionally hold out of performing the desired act until presented with a bribe. Then you've been had. :)
All kidding aside, I'm very glad to hear that you all made it home safely. It was great seeing the three of you as well as (most of) your siblings and their families over the Christmas holidays.
Reading your blog always brings a smile to my face, and I continue to be amazed at the poise, strength, attitude, and love that you and Damon have shown to face the adversity of the last several months. Both of you are an inspirations and great role models for me and I'm sure many others. I wish that the rest of the world could know the story of your family and be able to use your example to better themselves and in turn the society that we live in. Thank you both for being you. I'm very proud and honored to be able to have you in my extended family.
My love always,
Peter
Mallory and Alexa should not be allowed to hang out when they get older because they will definitely find trouble together!!! I think Mallory is in bed with Michael right now!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys had a nice christmas. Glad to hear you got back safe!!!
Happy New Year!
Nikki Pellegrino
Connie, bribery is not toooooo bad of a thing. I have used it when I felt there was no other alternative. Glad to hear you and Damon are both getting some well deserved rest. Miss you all. Love Joanne
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year, our beautiful cousins, and thank you for keeping Granty, Alexa and yourselves so close to all of us.
ReplyDeleteWe love you.