Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Our "Other" Family

I received an e-mail last week from our Clinical Social Worker, Gina, and I was so excited to see a note from her.  Gina had been assigned to us when Grant was first diagnosed, and she was a central member of Granty's Neuro-Oncology team that included Dr. Etzl and nurse Annie.  This team quickly became like a second family to us, getting to know our family on a personal level.  This same could be said for all of the medical team at PCH - - there was not a doctor nor nurse who didn't know our names or that Granty had a big sister named Alexa.

It was amazing how quickly Grant's medical teams (Oncology, PICU and Pediatrician) became like a second  family to us.  We were joined together by one central focus, Granty and his health, and Grant's vibrant personality endeared him personally to everyone.  I looked forward (sort of) to his appointments because I enjoyed the interaction, support and upbeat attitudes everyone displayed.  It truly was like a second (extremely well-educated) family for us.

There is a moment that will always be in my heart and is a testament to the quality of care that Granty received.  In the days after we'd been given the heart-breaking news that there was nothing medically that could be done to cure Grant, Dr. Etzl and Gina came to Granty's PICU room to visit with us and see Grant one last time....there was no medical reason for their visit; it was entirely because they cared.  As the four of us sat by Grant in the hospital room, Dr. Etzl reached over to stroke the back of Granty's head said, "I really loved this boy."  That moment was heart-warming for me at such a time of sadness; Granty was surrounded by love.

Damon and I were talking last week about how we feed an odd sense of loss for this second family.  We miss seeing his doctors and nurses on a regular basis, as they had quickly become so intertwined in our daily lives.  I think Damon and I will be going back to PCH in a couple of weeks to visit and thank some of his special PICU nurses and also visit with the Oncology team.  And I'm really looking forward to Alexa's 4-year checkup in March to see our beloved Pediatrician and Nurse....she may not be as excited if there's an immunization :)

I caught Granty mid-laugh/smile when I took this picture;
I started cracking up when I saw this photo.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I'll ever be able to explain how much Granty's last week affected me as a biology professor...His medical team was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss you guys too!

    i see other babies with "brain tumors" and i always just think of Granty and his pretty eyes!
    i also made up a wagon for a baby one day and that put me in tears as i remembered Grant in the wagon that day.

    ReplyDelete