Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dinner Dilemma

Dinner....the dreaded word.  Unlike my siblings, I did not inherit the cooking or baking gene - - if I were single, I think I would sustain myself on Lean Cuisine and salads, but unfortunately those choices aren't too popular with Alexa.  As a result, I struggle each night with the decision of what to make for dinner.  I no longer solicit Alexa's input; if it were her decision, she would eat macaroni and cheese nightly.  :)  I have tried planning the meals for the week and making the major items on the weekend, but usually when the day arrives, I have no appetite whatsoever for the prepared meals.  Oy.

I've made a resolution to start eating healthier, making more things from scratch and trying new recipes instead of the usual standbys.  In the past few weeks, we've had Rice Krispies-coated chicken,  pork and apples, cornflake-pecan chicken, homemade pizza....  Tonight I was tapping my brain to come up with an easy dinner idea that Alexa would like, and I decided to recreate the fish bowl from Wahoo's that she enjoyed in Denver.  It's a very easy dish (rice, black beans and grilled fish), so I figured it was a good choice for the night.  Alexa was excited when I told her what we were having, and she played the role of my sous chef as I prepared each of the components.  She ate the meal, and even told me I could pack some in her lunch for tomorrow.  Yeah!  I was patting myself on the back for a job well done, but Alexa quickly brought me back down to reality.  After I packed the leftovers in her lunch container, Alexa looked at me and said, "Mommy, your fish bowl was good but the one from Denver was a lot better than yours.  Can you get that one next time?"  lol.....I tried!




Alexa enjoyed Jell-O pudding with her cousin Maren
(and got a little silly with a pudding goatee).
That's one thing I can make very well.....


5 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy to me! I may be calling you for recipes. I hope dear Porkchop is still doing well:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see her representing mission montessori aftercare in denver...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, sounded delicious to me. I cannot believe the picture, is that really Marin, Julie and Eric's little one? Oh Lord how time does fly. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't duplicate Wahoo's either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oh Connie, Dinner is always a challenge, even after 35 years of marriage!" I think Wahoo Fish sounds pretty good. And it's great that Alexa will even eat fish at 3 years old. Love, Auntie Gail

    ReplyDelete