Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Deafening Silence

There's a period of time after Alexa goes to sleep and before Damon gets home from work that always brings about a pang of sadness.  The house gets so quiet and makes Granty's absence so much more palpable.....when I had the two kiddos, I would always hope for a moment of peace and quiet each night, and now I would do anything to get the cacophony back.

Grant, Alexa and I had a well-defined nightly routine - Granty and I would put Alexa to bed, and then I would carry him out into the family room for some quality one-on-one time before he fell asleep.  We'd practice sitting, read books, I'd use him as a human weight to do my ab workouts (I'd hold him in the Superman position above my head, which always evoked a smile or laugh from him)...it was truly a great bonding experience.  Probably 99% of the time, Damon would come home from work, and I would be sitting on the couch watching television as Grant would be sleeping soundly, burrowed into the left side of my chest with his head always on my heart.  It was Granty's signature position.

I've figured out ways to pass the time (workouts, thank you notes (that's a very slow process - sorry!), reading magazines or watching DVR'd shows), but even with all of my personal activity, there's still a sad silence that remains.  I miss my little guy!

My personal fan club....
(This picture was actually taken by Alexa one night when
she was playing around with the camera.  Not too bad!)

1 comment:

  1. Connie, my heart aches when you have this alone time. But know that he is always with you. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete