The change hasn't been all bad; my workout routine has definitely benefited from having fewer items on the daily agenda. The daily runs that waned in priority after Grant's diagnosis are now part of my nighttime routine. I do a lot of thinking on these runs, always involving Granty in some capacity, and look forward to this uninterrupted time for myself. I have to admit, I am a more dedicated athlete than ever before...if I start to get tired or bored before I reach my mileage goal for the day, I just think about Granty and the perseverance that my little boy demonstrated. He's quite the motivation - - I've achieved my goal each time.
Aside from the fitness element, running is providing the dual benefit as a mechanism to raise money for the fight against cancer and Phoenix Children's Hospital. I have the run in Denver this weekend, a run in Phoenix in March, and the St. Louis Half-Marathon in April. Whew! It's much easier to get geared up for these runs when there is a charitable element, especially ones so dear to my heart, associated with the event. Stay tuned to the blog for details, updates, and of course, photos. :)
![]() |
| I love Granty's expression in this picture. Such a sweet little boy..... |

"Oh Connie, my body hurts just thinking about those long runs that you do!":) I also have a hero that I think about when I go to the gym daily as I ache just trying to get this almost 61 yr old body to move to the music of my combat and step class. I think of Grandma Jessie and how it was so difficult for her to move her body just to face each daily activity. But she did it no matter how she hurt, as she loved her life....And your Granty gave it all his little body could handle. Our 2 heros are together now, dancing, playing, and smiling. It's great you can participate in these weekend runs as they raise money for such a meaningful cause. Keep running and I'll keep dancing....Our 2 heros will always motivate us as they are in our hearts forever. My new motto, "Each day is a Gift!" Praying and thinking of the three of you. Love, Auntie Gail
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that picture of Grant! He seems so content in Alexa's arms.
ReplyDeleteConnie, wish I could get as motivated as you are in running. Just walking would help me tremendously. My goal is to get started and during the walks I too will think of different ways to fight this horrible disease. Love the picture, adore the children. Love to you, Joanne
ReplyDeleteSuch a touching picture. Gwen
ReplyDelete