Today I swung by Trader Joe's at lunch to grab a salad, and while standing in the refrigerated section, a girl (probably about four years-old) bumped into me with one of the child-sized shopping carts. Her mother apologized profusely, and I told her, "Don't worry about it - I have my own (meaning Alexa) at home." She responded, "Thank goodness. How many kids do you have?" That simple question tongue-ties me every time it's asked of me.
Argh - the dreaded question. This is such a delicate situation because the last thing I want to do is give a response that makes both people feel uncomfortable. Rather than unloading the tragedy of the past few months on this complete stranger, I was able to avoid the question by simply saying, "Oh, I have a three year-old daughter, and she also loves to push the kids' carts." Whew - explanation averted.
I'm sure I will come up with a standard answer in the coming months - - I have to read through the plethora of information provided to us by the Child Life division of Phoenix Children's, as I'm sure this is a common dilemma after the death of a child. It's just odd to think that I could more easily answer a question about quadratic formulas....
| The multi-tasking days of Alexa in the bath & Granty in the swing. |
Connie, I can't imagine what goes through your mind when asked a question like the one posed to you. He will always be our little angel watching over us. Love, Joanne
ReplyDelete