Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not Quite Hooked on Phonics....

At Alexa's parent-teacher conference this fall, her teacher told me that Alexa usually gravitates to the practical life lessons and isn't too interested in numbers or letters.  Although the Montessori method encourages self-directed learning and she is only threee, Damon and I are still trying to give Alexa a little nudge in the right direction.  Even Santa was in on the act this year, with Granty the Elf buying her an alphabet book for our flight to St. Louis and giving her a Phonics book for Christmas.  Needless to say, those gifts didn't seem to be at the top of her favorites list.

Sometimes it seems as if Alexa's egging us along, pretending not to know the answer, simply to elicit a reaction.  Talk about frustrating   I've never recognized patience as being one of my best traits, so these informal lessons have been a good exercise for me as well.  I'm becoming quite the expert at creating a list of words that begin with the same letter, hoping Alexa will be able to identify the letter with the sound.  I think she's batting about 0.300, but we'll just keep practicing.

Damon started "Breakfast Phonics" this morning to try to engage Alexa in a routine of learning before school.  I had to smile when he told me about his plan last night, because it represents a complete turning of the tables.  Damon's mom, Carol, has always told stories of how Damon would try to do anything but his school work, leaving her to plead, "Damon...Focus!"  Payback has come 30-years later as Damon's pleading with Alexa to do the same.  I can only imagine the smile on Carol's face when she hears of "Breakfast Phonics." :)

T-R-O-U-B-L-E. :)

5 comments:

  1. Dominic loved watching Super Why on PBS. Great resource to sneak some learning into entertainment. Being a teacher, you learn to play to the interest of the kids. Worth a shot! There's even a Princess character who's specialty is spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love it... can you send Damon to do some "breaky phonics" over here too!
    That is an adorable pic of Alexa!!! I think about you guys all the time!
    Nikki Pellegrino

    ReplyDelete
  3. T-R-O-U-B-L-E but A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E. Connie believe me she will do just fine. She is testing you and Damon. Lots of love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know if she were in the MLB and batting 0.300, she'd have multi-year contract at about $7-10 million a year, especially with everything else she brings to the table. So she'd have that going for her. But I have to second Emily. Super Why is a great show. Dominic has started to grow out of it, but we get to sneak it in every once in awhile.

    Love, Joe P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those of us that know her daddy, know that that innocent face in the picture is definitely hiding the trouble. :) we all knew damon would some day get payback...just sorry that you are the one also receiving that payback! love this picture of alexa!

    ReplyDelete