Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesdays with Granty

As usual, I spent a lot time today thinking about Granty, but Tuesdays in particular always bring back a lot of memories of him.  During Granty's treatment, Tuesday was always chemo day.  It was a day of mixed emotion - worry, fear, angst about the chemo this little boy had to endure - but in some ways, Tuesday was the highlight of my week.  Tuesday was a day dedicated entirely to my little boy - no work, no Blackberry, no distractions...just time with Grant.  

As soon as we would enter the outpatient treatment center, I would take Grant out of his car seat, knowing that I would be holding him for at least the next three hours or so.  He was always Mr. Charming in the waiting room, and he had developed quite the following of fans who were also there every Tuesday for treatment.  After vitals, a broviac dressing change and the weekly exam from his Oncologist, he was usually pretty tired, so he would nap during the infusion process.  I loved to holding him during the 1.5 hour infusion - he would typically hold his giraffe blankie in one hand and my finger in the other.  I would spend a lot of the time staring at him while he slept, taking in his beautiful features (those amazing eyelashes and lips) or smelling the "baby scent" that I grew to love so much.  Pure bliss.

As with most things in his life, Granty had an amazing ability to make something that would typically seem unpleasant, in this instance chemotherapy, and make it a wonderful.  He was truly a remarkable little boy.

Granty at Chemo w/his stuffed "Chemo Bearapy"

2 comments:

  1. Connie, thinking of you and after reading this blog today it just makes me realize what a strong person you are. To look at the precious moments amidst all the sadness makes me so proud of you. My love to you and the family, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never get tired of seeing that face. Hugs and love.

    Your future (with hope) inlaw
    Summer ;)

    ReplyDelete