Damon and I tried every possible bribe this morning to try to entice Alexa to enjoy her lesson and make it though the class without crying. She had a lot hinging on today's lesson - watching tv, two Disney princess dolls, a trip to the library....not our best parenting, but it was worth a shot. On the way there, I told Alexa about my swim lessons at the YMCA when I was young in a last-ditch effort to help her understand the importance of the lessons.
She walked into the pool area without me having to literally peel her off my leg, so I knew we were off to a better start than four weeks ago. She was the only swimmer in her class today, so Coach Nick wasted no time submerging her under the water and getting her face and hair wet. So far so good. He was definitely pushing her more than he ever had before, a very welcome change in my book, but within two minutes, the tears and sobs began. Argh. However, I don't know if it was my disapproving glance, the promises of the bribes or perhaps the power of the pink giraffe swimsuit, but Alexa continued to do everything Coach Nick asked her to do - even with the tears rolling down her face.
I don't think I've ever been more proud...she showed the "Niehoff toughness" that I value so much. After about five minutes of tears, she stopped crying and actually seemed to enjoy herself; I even saw a smile. Coach Nick, I swear he has the patience of a saint, was swimming the length of the pool with her, teaching her the proper strokes and pushing her well-beyond her normal comfort zone. This was one of her best lessons in a VERY long time! When I met her at the end of her lesson, she was beaming with pride; she exclaimed, "I was crying but I stopped myself and just started swimming. I swam the whole pool!"
And she did get to watch 30 minutes of tv before our trip to the library...but no Princess dolls. Maybe next week ;)
![]() |
| Not a happy swimmer - - but doing everything she was asked. |
![]() |
| Tears are gone....YEAH! |


Way to go, Alexa!
ReplyDeleteLOL....love these pictures. Of course Gabriella has the same the bathing suit :-)
ReplyDeleteAlexa, what a big girl, MaKenna didn't like her swimming when I first started taking her to the pool where I belong but through her tears and Hoeing determination she joined her big sister Madison in jumping off the diving board this year. We know you can do the same after seeing how great you are doing in the pictures. Keep at it sweetie and if you are in St. Louis during the summer we'll take you to our pool. Love you bunches. Joanne
ReplyDeleteHow is her swimming? It must’ve been terrible for you to watch her crying. No wonder you’re considering putting up a backyard pool. If you have enough space, why not pursue it? Though it would definitely take up a significant portion of your budget, it would be a nice investment. Not only your daughter but for everyone.
ReplyDelete