This past weekend I was growing tired of the repeated questions of whether she could have something to eat or watch something on tv, so I implemented a per diem system for these items. She's allowed one dessert/sweet snack and one television show per day (two on the weekends), and it is hilarious to hear her plan her budget each day. She's really embraced the process! She usually plans her desserts for the next two days, as she'll have trouble deciding between two options (NeNe's Rice Krispie Treats and ice cream were tough competitors). Her television show is reserved for the nighttime - she always wants to make sure it's dark outside before she'll use up her "budget" of one television show. When she wakes up each morning, she confirms her daily budget with me, and after that, I hear no other questions nor whining for the rest of the day. It's been a wonderful few days, so I'm really hoping the process sticks!
Since she's embracing the budget process, Damon and I have decided we're going to start introducing the concept of monetary budgets to her. Alexa and I stopped at the grocery store after I picked her up from school, and the display of pre-made Easter baskets caught her eye. Naturally, she wanted me to buy her the biggest basket they had, but when I told her that would be at least 20-days of sweets and cost her all of the coins in her piggy bank (she assigns a lot more value to coins than paper money), she immediately put the basket back on the shelf. Atta girl!
| Two peas in a pod :) |
Connie, I think it is absolutely wonderful to have a LC in the family. Michael who is "THE KING OF BUDGETING" loved the idea of LC already being on a budget albeit snacks and TV--you have to begin somewhere. Love, Joanne
ReplyDelete